|Number of vacancies||9|
|Salary||Up to £42,129|
In addition to salary there is a very competitive pension, a generous annual leave allowance, great work/life balance include flexible working, family friendly policies and much more.
|Closing date||8 July 2020|
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
We’re looking for emerging, ambitious Java Software Devs and Engineers with knowledge of software products to join our growing community of experts and become a key part of one of the biggest and high profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
As a Junior Java Engineer you will be an integral part of the team designing and delivering products and services that are used by 22 million people in the UK, including your friends, family, neighbours and some of the most vulnerable people in our society.
If you’re looking for a career that differs from the norm, where you will use your skills to help real people, you won’t find a bigger, more challenging and rewarding opportunity anywhere in the UK. Click through or get in touch to find out more.
Duties. Work. Projects. You and your role.
We’re looking for devs, engineers and coders with great Java skills to join our team, and work on the most demanding, high profile and exciting new digital service for the UK Government. This is DWP’s flagship welfare reform programme, that will change the face of public services and have the potential to dramatically transform the future of millions of people.
This is a junior role so we’re less bothered about years of experience and more interested in your talent and potential. You’ll work as part of a brilliant, friendly team, full of experience, who will help you grow, develop and deliver.
We build and run applications that help our users access the services they need. Digital solutions, in the form of accessible products and services, are more important now than ever before.
What really excites us is problem-solving and the opportunity to deliver innovative technology that carries real value for users. You’ll draw value from collaboration with others, and actively seek input from teammates from lots of different disciplines.
Our multi-disciplinary agile team is a testing ground and an incubator for ideas and ways of working that will influence the way things are done across government. We’re proving that our creative, innovative approach can work in the public sector, that technology can change lives, and that we can successfully transform the delivery of government products and services. We want you to help us.
- Deliver software components which form part of a product/service.
- Develop reusable libraries and services.
- Produce comprehensive suites of automated unit and integration tests to ensure code quality.
- Identify and resolve issues preventing delivery or continuation of software engineering activities.
- Identify ways to optimise the current development process.
- Provide 3rd line support on products developed, including out of hours support as and when required.
- Contribute to community discussions about best practice within Software Engineering.
- Recent experience with Java 8 (or newer)
- Developing on cloud based environments like AWS and Azure
- Have a good understanding of TDD and BDD
- SQL and noSQL database applications such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB
- Distributed version control systems such as Git
- Containerisation – tools such as Docker and Kubernetes
- You can build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment
- Have working knowledge of Unix-like operating systems such as Linux and/or Mac OS X
- Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures
- An understanding of responsive web design and progressive enhancement
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in our brilliant new digital hub in London. Find out more about here: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/
We are a building a Software Engineering community that believes in nurturing the talent of our people, and here you’ll step onto a career path with many opportunities to develop and expand your knowledge base and skill set.
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
Details. Wages. Perks.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £42,129, a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions of 27%, and a generous leave package. We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Learning, development, coaching and mentoring
- Career pathways and progression
- And lots more
For further information and to start your application click apply.
We value capability over experience, and we’ll ask you to demonstrate the depth and breadth of your skills/knowledge in your application. We want to see what have you delivered before when using our key technologies, what technical solutions have you shaped, your knowledge of providing technical product support. Show us what you can do.
Get in touch with me via firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to discuss before you apply.