|Number of vacancies||1|
|Location||London, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Blackpool or Newcastle|
|Salary||£82,000 — £100,000|
Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates.
|Closing date||22 July 2019|
Ever wished you could make a real difference to how welfare services of critical importance are designed and delivered?
In partnership with the private and voluntary sectors, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is a major Department of State that plays a critical role in UK life.
We provide services and support to over 22 million people every year, responsible for over 730 million benefits payments, totalling some £173.1 billion.
As we deliver a once in a generation programme of welfare reform, we’re transforming our business to deliver on our commitments to:
• support economic growth
• reduce the disadvantages faced by disabled people and people with healthcare conditions
• increase saving for and financial security in later life
• maximise the number of children benefitting from an effective child maintenance arrangement
The design and development of world class products underpins our delivery of digital services, strategic purpose and ultimately, a 21st century welfare state system, fully responsive to the changing needs of our users.
About the role
As Head of User Centred Design, you’ll be in a unique position to shape the service design and delivery of the digitally enabled welfare state.
As a key leader within our Product Design practice, you’ll:
• set and maintain standards and principles for innovative, end to end service design across DWP’s extensive product portfolio
• lead a professional community of around 150 Designers, User Researchers and Content Designers
• be a visible role model for exemplary Service Design within DWP and across Government
• empower, grow and build the capability and diversity of your team
• instil a vibrant, open, agile culture and approach, delivering impactful outcomes through the quality of the work you inspire and produce
• collaborate with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to drive clarity, alignment of vision and consistency of approach to meet DWP’s strategic objectives
About the person
A recognised subject matter expert, you’ll:
• have successfully defined and embedded a User Centred Design systems vision and agile ways of working in an organisation of similar complexity
• have lead and inspired multi-disciplined teams to deliver outstanding results
• be a first-class communicator and leader
• have the conviction, energy and experience to shape and cultivate the development and capability of a large, diverse community of service design professionals
• have created an appetite for continuous improvement whilst setting and meeting high standards that deliver tangible outcomes for users, measured by results and user feedback
• be used to interpreting a complex range of requirements to deliver truly exceptional service design and customer journeys for digital products that meet the needs of a diverse range of users
• have excellent well-rounded leadership attributes
• be an exceptional practitioner and thought leader, with proven experience of leading the professional development of your team and the Service Design community across your organisation
This significant leadership role and unrivalled challenge provides a unique platform for the Head of User Centred Design to transform the services we deliver, and to visibly improve life outcomes for those we are proud to serve.
To find out more about the role and to apply, please visit: https://www.gatenbysanderson.com/job/GSe45009
For a confidential discussion, please contact our advising consultants at GatenbySanderson:
Adrian Barlow on M: 07393 011150, or Stephanie Wilson on M: 07880 382745.
Closing Date: Monday 22 July 2019 at 5.30pm