|Salary||Up to £81,269|
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 27%, generous annual leave, flexible working, great work life balance and lots more.
|Closing date||8 July 2020|
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
We’re looking for talented, Lead Software Devs and Engineers with to join our growing community of experts and become a key part of one of the biggest and high profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
This is an extraordinary time. It’s never been more important for us to hire and grow talented and motivated digital professionals as we ensure DWP products and services are modern, scalable, accessible and available to the people that need them most.
As a Lead Software Engineer you will be an integral part of the team designing and delivering products and services that are used by our 22 million people in the UK, including friends, family, neighbours and some of the most vulnerable people in our society.
If you are looking for an engineering role that differs from the norm, where you will use your skills to help real people, you will struggle to find a bigger, more challenging and rewarding opportunity anywhere in the UK. Click through or get in touch to find out more.
You and your role
You’ll join our team in Newcastle, where you’ll use all your skill and experience to lead a collaborative, pragmatic and multi-disciplinary team.
We use the latest open source tech and tooling and our culture is relaxed, open and driven by a desire to get the job done. What really excites us is problem-solving and the opportunity to deliver innovative technology that carries real value for our users.
You’re an expert level engineer and a capable leader with years of hand-on experience; giving technical support, offering strategic solutions to present and future deliverables, and building capability across our teams. And, don’t worry, you’ll code.
- Champion technical evolution within the organisation, find, test, agree and adopt emerging technologies.
- Champion the latest Software Engineer best practices, principles and processes.
- Design and lead the strategies for building reusable libraries and services.
- Provide 3rd line support on products developed, including out of hours support as and when required.
- Collaborate with large teams of Software Engineers and key technical decision makers to define the strategic vision for our products.
- Lead the Software Engineering community to deliver the strategic vision.
- Collaborate with the Principal Software Engineering community to ensure usability, accessibility, security, stability and capacity are embedded in the development of our citizen services.
- Developing on cloud based environments like AWS and Azure
- Have a good understanding of TDD and BDD
- SQL and noSQL database applications such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB
- Distributed version control systems such as Git
- Containerisation – tools such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Have the skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment
- Have working knowledge of Unix-like operating systems such as Linux and/or Mac OS X
- Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in our brilliant digital hub in Newcastle. Find out more about here: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/newcastle
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £81,269, a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions of over 27%, and a generous leave package. We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Learning, development, coaching and mentoring
- Career pathways and progression
- And lots more
For further information and to start your application click apply or contact me via email@example.com