|Number of vacancies||1|
|Salary||Up to £57,275|
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 20%, generous annual leave, flexible working, great work life balance and lots more.
|Closing date||2 May 2019|
If you’re creative and curious to learn, want to be empowered to make decisions and challenge the norm, and want to bring BIG ideas to a MASSIVE digital challenge then you’ll love it here. And we’d love to hear from you.
We’re looking for talented Senior Data Engineer – Big Data Developers to join our growing community of experts and become a key part of one of the biggest and highest-profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies – and putting the user at the centre of everything we do – we create innovative digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users.
You and your role
As a Senior Data Engineer you should have experience delivering Data Engineering projects in a cloud or on premise environment, creating and maintaining data pipelines, data streaming, working with large sets of unstructured, semi-structured and structured data, and creating curated datasets for end users.
You are responsible for leading, managing and delivering all aspects of data development activities to meet customer needs to agreed timescales.
You own the overall Data Engineering Development process within Data Engineering along with setting the strategies for products and the wider community.
You will also provide technical leadership to a team of Data Engineers along with providing oversight to the products they develop.
What are we looking for?
- You have advanced coding skills and in-depth knowledge of: Spark SQL, Hive SQL, Spark Streaming, Scala, HDFS, OOzie, Git, Unix, Elastic.
- You have experience of developing data solutions on Oracle, Cloudera or HortonWorks platforms.
- You have experience of leading, upskilling and motivating a team in a multi-disciplinary environment, delivering products within specific timescales and working alongside multiple senior stakeholders.
- You’ve got in-depth knowledge and practical experience of designing, developing codes, testing, correcting and documenting simple programs or scripts under the direction of others.
- You understand core technical concepts related to their role and an ability to apply them.
- You can identify simple patterns and trends as well as investigating problems and opportunities in existing processes.
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in our easy-to-reach digital hub in Newcastle, just a very short walk from Longbenton Metro station.
Our Newcastle hub is a modern, vibrant workplace that was designed for and by members of our digital community. We have great facilities including cafes, coffee shops, snack bars and restaurants, as well gym facilities, a 5-a-side football pitch and loads more.
Here we provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multidisciplinary teams think big and try new things. You will work alongside people who care passionately about public service, making a difference and delivering for our customers.
We’re the UK’s biggest government department with over 80,000 diverse and brilliant people on our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £57,275, a brilliant civil service pension, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working
- Family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- And lots more
Building Our Future
We believe the work we do really matters, so we’re serious about investing in your ability.
You’ll have access to a huge suite of training and learning opportunities to complement the new skills and experience you’ll acquire on the job. You’ll share ideas with colleagues from across the tech community, and grow your skills via our coaching and mentoring programmes.
Click APPLY now for more information and to start an application via our online portal.
If you have any questions, please give me a shout via firstname.lastname@example.org