DWP. Digital with Purpose.
• Do you know your way around Oracle Data Platforms?
• Can you contribute to the Design and Build of Data Platforms and Database Infrastructure Solutions to ensure they are fit for purpose?
• Do you have expertise in Server virtualisation techniques like NFV, SDN/SD-WAN?
We’re looking a Database Infrastructure Engineer to join our Data Platforms Engineering team.
Our goal is to deliver automated builds into Cloud and on Premise hosting. Here you’ll develop skills in Cloud Deployments, automation techniques and self-service database functions.
It’s not an administrative role. You’ll be key provider of tooling, advice and techniques to our operational DBAs.
DWP Digital offers uniquely challenging and fulfilling careers for people interested in using their skills to make a genuine difference to society. We’re part of the UK’s biggest government department, and along with 86,000 colleagues, we support 20 million people every day to help them to find work and save for their future.
Few other organisations globally provide the same opportunity to apply next-generation digital technology on a massive scale to issues which touch the lives of so many.
Databases. Work. Projects.
This is a trailblazing role in database automation technologies.
As a Database Infrastructure Engineer you’ll help us to build services at the cutting edge of infrastructure technology and Hybrid Cloud Services, and introduce more automation into our operation.
You’ll work within a small team on cutting edge deployments and techniques that will shape the way that the DWP uses Databases to ensure that we spend effectively and deliver the best service possible to our customers.
You’ll be involved in horizon scanning and evaluation of self-healing technologies where intelligence is applied to database faults. And you’ll help design a data platform, develop security standards and assess all infrastructure database solutions selecting the most suitable for our needs and our customers.
You’ll need to have broad Oracle/RDMBS experience and be able to assist in our migration of systems and expansion into Mongo and SQL onto a Cloud platform.
What will I be doing?
• Design and delivery of infrastructure services/solutions
• Continual service improvement through on-going rationalisation and optimisation of services/solutions
• Provide technical support and assistance to projects
• 3rd line support for incidents, problems and changes
• Create and maintain documentation to support services/solutions
• Monitor and manage KPIs and service performance
What skills and experience are we looking for?
Oracle data platforms: You’ll need to demonstrate familiarity with at least two of the following platforms:
• Oracle DBaaS Platforms such as RDS or Nutanix Era
• PaaS Platforms on AWS EC2
• Bare Metal instances in OCI
• Shared CDB/PDB platforms on Premise or Virtualised instances on OVM.
Data Platforms – Design and Build: You should show evidence that you understand the design considerations that would lead us to choose one of the Platforms described above over another. For example: why would we choose RDS over Physical and vice versa?
Data Centre Security: including security products and countermeasure techniques e.g. Firewalls, Server hardening.
We hold highly sensitive personal data about all UK citizens so you should be familiar with the tools provided by Database vendors to protect that information. This will include process controls such as RBAC, monitoring controls such as OEM and tooling such as Oracle Database Vault
Server virtualisation techniques: e.g. NFV, SDN, SD-WAN.
We want to virtualise as much of our estate as possible so an understanding of virtualisation technology such as OVM will be required.
Details. Wages. Perks.
You’ll join us in one of our brilliant digital hub in Newcastle. Find out more about here: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
We offer competitive salary between £31,989 – £34,285, a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions of over 27%, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
• Flexible working and family friendly policies
• Volunteering and charitable giving
• Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
• Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
• Sports and social activities
• Learning, development, coaching and mentoring
• Career pathways and progression
• And lots more
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application. If you want to talk about this opportunity before you apply contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org