|Number of vacancies||2|
|Location||Blackpool and/or Manchester|
|Salary||Up to £44,808|
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 27%, generous annual leave, flexible working, great work life balance and lots more
|Closing date||5 July 2020|
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
DWP Digital’s Tech Services Team is looking for a talented Application Engineer with skills in either Java or COBOL to join our growing community of experts and become a key part of one of the biggest and highest-profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
We’re living in extraordinary times, with unprecedented need for DWP products and services in our communities. So it’s never been more important for us to hire people like you, with the expert skills and values we need to power this once-in-a-generation tech revolution.
With our users at the heart of everything we do, together we’ll make our services, more efficient to develop, more scalable, and more available to the people who need them.
Duties. Work. Projects
You’ll work as part of Technology Services. 1500 of us work across 10 portfolio-led teams. We are the foundations on which digital services for DWP are developed and operate. We deliver secure, effective and cost-
You’ll work as part of Technology Services. 1500 of us work across 10 portfolio-led teams. We are the foundations on which digital services for DWP are developed and operate. We deliver secure, effective and cost-efficient digital infrastructure services and run live IT operations.
We’re growing in capability and ambition. We want to build and develop a bespoke 21st century IT infrastructure architecture network which will ensure our millions of users can access the live services that they need.
We can promise no two days will be the same. You’ll be working with tools that are old, new and newer still. You’ll help us build the team capability in architecture, deployment, configuration and technical implementation.
You could currently working be in Devops, Security, Enterprise or Network engineering. Job titles and hierarchy aren’t the thing for us. Imagination, drive, and familiarity with big data and cybersecurity software and tooling are.
You’ve got the expertise in tech and tooling, and we’ll help you build on your existing skills. There are real opportunities for development and profile within an enterprise network environment. There is coaching, training and access to more formal education to help you to take charge and steer your career ambitions.
What are we looking for?
We have two Application Engineer roles available. One will require knowledge of COBOL programming language and the other will require a broader Java engineering skillset.
- You’re a software tools and tech whizz; You have enterprise experience of either or both COBOL or Java
- You find ways to be better; with a continuous improvement mindset, you are committed to the improvement of products, services or processes through incremental and breakthrough improvements
- You keep an eye on the past and the future; you have a wide knowledge of modern ways of working and ability to understand legacy systems.
- You’re comfortable with ambiguity; you can adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and to cope effectively with complexity and change.
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in our Blackpool digital hub. Find out more about working in our hubs here: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/
We have the tools and culture to enable flexible working too. Many of us are working from home at the moment due to Covid-19.
We’re the UK’s biggest government department with over 80,000 diverse and brilliant people on our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, disability gender, race or sexuality.
Details. Wages. Perks.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £…, a brilliant civil service pension, and a generous leave package. We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working and family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, travel, insurance, contracts, fun days out and lots more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Learning and training opportunities, including coaching, mentoring, events, community meet ups and lots more
- Clear career paths and opportunities to progress
HOW TO APPLY: For further information and to start an application click apply now. If you would like to discuss this role and our offer contact me via Mimi.Enefiok@dwp.gov.uk