|Number of vacancies||1|
|Salary||Up to £45,412|
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 20%, generous annual leave, flexible working and lots more…
|Closing date||26 September 2019|
Do you want to be part of something really big?
Can you develop robust data solutions in Hive and HDFS?
Do you have expertise in translating technical specs and creating conceptual, logical and physical designs?
Are you ready to be part of an epic digital transformation?
Then look no further, we’d love to hear from you!
If you’re creative and curious to learn, want to be empowered to make decisions and challenge the norm, and want to bring BIG ideas to a MASSIVE digital challenge then you’ll love it here. And we’d love to hear from you.
We’re looking for talented Big-Data Developer to join our growing community of experts on our Data & Analytics practice and become a key part of one of the biggest and highest-profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies – and putting the user at the centre of everything we do – we create innovative digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users.
You and your role
The Big Data Developer role sits right at the heart of that transformation.
The Children and Analytics Data Service (ChADS) is a DWP Digital function with responsibility for the design, development and implementation of business intelligence for the Child Maintenance Group. The team consists of 30 people based mainly in Newcastle, split between Agile delivery squads and cross functional specialisms.
You’ll be part of the Agile delivery team for ChADS (Children and Analytics Data Service) a new strategic business intelligence solution in development for CMG that is based on Big Data technologies and aligned to the DWP strategic vision by using open source and cloud based technologies. The successful delivery of ChADS is seen as a key enabler in CMG delivering a quality service to customers and to Ministers.
This is a big challenge, but also a big opportunity. You will get the chance to work on one of the biggest, most ambitious Digital transformation programmes in the UK. You will have the chance to use and stretch your abilities, strengthen your experience and continue your professional development in a supportive environment. You will work alongside people who care passionately about public service, making a difference and delivering for our customers.
What are we looking for?
Essential Technical Skills
• ETL Concepts
• Conceptual, Logical and Physical designs of developing data solutions in Hive and HDFS
• Understanding of Big Data Engineer concepts – creating technical requirements using conceptual, logical and physical designs
Desirable Skills/ Experience
Ideally it would be great if you have …but not essential..
• Experience of developing data solutions on Oracle, Cloudera or Horton Works platforms
What will I be doing?
As a Big Data Developer within ChADS you will be responsible for ..
• Translate business requirements to ensure they are clear and robust, and can be transformed into reusable production ready code and / or effective data models
• Delivering data processing pipelines in a cloud environment using distribute file store technology
• Creating and maintaining data pipelines using data streaming or batch transfer technology
• Designing, data archiving, data reconciliation, data manipulation, data integration, error handling and error logging mechanisms
• Designing ELT processes and data loading strategies to process data into dataset structures to support core CMG process and analytical needs
• Develop data solutions that are performant, scalable and production ready
• Supporting Quality Assurance colleagues and Data Managers responsible for the day to day testing and live running of data products and services
• Supporting BI developers in their development and testing of reporting and analytical solutions
• Working with all members of the Agile team to ensure new data needs are identified, developed and tested in accordance with Agile methodologies
• Actively participating in design and analysis sessions to understand user needs
Corinne our Lead Data Engineer shares our vision and talks about the value of data, how it improves people’s lives and what makes a great candidate in our recent webinar on data recruitment……click on the link to watch…
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in our brilliant digital hub in Leeds, based in the city centre and is easily accessible by bus and rail. A shuttle bus service also runs on a daily basis to and from the railway station. Its facilities include a restaurant, coffee bar, vending machines, cycle shelter and showers. There’s also the Forum Leisure Centre and Woodpecker Café Bar which have a swimming pool, squash courts and a gym.
DWP Digital is part of the UK’s biggest government department, and along with 85,000 colleagues, we support 20 million people every day to help them to find work and save for their future. Few other organisations globally provide the same opportunity to apply next-generation digital technology on a massive scale to issues which touch the lives of so many.
We provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multidisciplinary teams think big and try new things. You will work alongside people who care passionately about public service, making a difference and delivering for our customers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £45,412 per annum, a brilliant civil service pension, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
• Flexible working
• Family friendly policies
• Volunteering and charitable giving
• Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
• Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
• Sports and social activities and lots more…
Building Our Future
We believe the work we do really matters, so we’re serious about investing in your ability.
You’ll have access to a huge suite of training and learning opportunities to complement the new skills and experience you’ll acquire on the job. You’ll share ideas with colleagues from across the tech community, and grow your skills via our coaching and mentoring programmes.
For further information click apply or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Your contact will act as an expression of interest, and we will quickly get back to you with a full job description and details on how to formally apply.
To APPLY just click on the link below :