|Number of vacancies||2|
|Location||London or Newcastle|
|Salary||Up to £43,270|
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 20%, generous annual leave, flexible working, great work life balance and lots more.
|Closing date||2 May 2019|
If you’re creative and curious to learn, want to be empowered to make decisions and challenge the norm, and want to bring BIG ideas to a MASSIVE digital challenge then you’ll love it here. And we’d love to hear from you.
We’re looking for talented Data Engineers – Big Data Developers to join our growing community of experts and become a key part of one of the biggest and highest-profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies – and putting the user at the centre of everything we do – we create innovative digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users.
You and your role
As a Data Engineer, you are responsible for developing accurate, efficient data solutions which meet customer needs to agreed timescales.
You ensure the stability, robustness and resilience of the products you design and build, and are in a position to effect changes to those products where necessary.
You will support continuous improvement of standards and provide leadership to develop Associate Data Engineers, providing technical guidance alongside other data engineering functions for customers.
What are we looking for?
- You have advanced coding skills and in-depth knowledge of: Spark SQL, Hive SQL, Spark Streaming, Scala, HDFS, OOzie, Git, Unix, Elastic
- You are and experienced developer data solutions on Oracle, Cloudera or HortonWorks platforms.
- You have experience of leading, upskilling and motivating a team in a multi-disciplinary environment, delivering products within specific timescales and working alongside multiple senior stakeholders
- You have in-depth knowledge and practical experience of designing, developing codes, testing, correcting and documenting simple programs or scripts under the direction of others
- You understand core technical concepts related to your role and have an ability to apply them
- You can identify simple patterns and trends as well as investigating problems and opportunities in existing processes
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in one of our easy-to-reach digital hubs in London or Newcastle.
Both these hubs are a modern, vibrant workplaces designed for and by members of our digital community. We have a range of great facilties. In London you can enjoy our coffee shop and restaurants, to ping pong, yoga sessions, clubs and groups as well as the best on London right on our doorstep.
In Newcastle we have gym facilities, a 5-a-side football pitch, great restaurants and snack bars. We’re just a stone’s throw from Longbenton Metro.
We provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multidisciplinary teams think big and try new things. You will work alongside people who care passionately about public service, making a difference and delivering for our customers.
We’re the UK’s biggest government department with over 80,000 diverse and brilliant people on our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £42,885, a brilliant civil service pension, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working
- Family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- And lots more
Building Our Future
We believe the work we do really matters, so we’re serious about investing in your ability.
You’ll have access to a huge suite of training and learning opportunities to complement the new skills and experience you’ll acquire on the job. You’ll share ideas with colleagues from across the tech community, and grow your skills via our coaching and mentoring programmes.
Click APPLY now for more information and to continue an application on our online portal.
If you have any questions or just want a chat, get in touch with email@example.com