|Number of vacancies||8|
|Location||Manchester, Leeds or London|
|Salary||Up to £49,796|
|Work hours||37.5 hours per week ( flexible)|
Our flexible benefits package includes employer pension contributions of up to 10%, a performance related annual bonus of up to 10%, and lots more…
|Closing date||22 February 2019|
Do you want to be part of something really big? Do you have expertise in machine learning?
Do you have Python/R or SQL programming? Do you want to help build products to prevent fraud and error and improve our benefits system?
Are you ready to be part of an epic digital transformation? Then click APPLY now, we’d love to hear from you…
You will be joining either our Risk Intelligence Service (RIS) or Service Design team as part of our expanding Data & Analytics community of Data Engineers.
You’ll help us to take raw data into insights and recommendations so that DWP can shape real change to products and services used by millions. This includes Universal Credit one of our flagship projects where we will look at data analysis to prevent and detect fraud and error in our benefits system including serious organised crime.
Watch this video to find out what Daniel enjoys about being a Data Scientist at DWP Digital…
Data Scientist x1 – Service Design ( Manchester or Leeds)
As a Service Design specialist you will be responsible for studying user behaviour, strategic initiatives, and new product features to bring data-driven insights and recommendations into every decision we make. Above all, your work will directly impact the way the Department designs, develops and delivers its services.
Data Scientist x 6 – Fraud & Error (London)
A Data Scientist to work as part of a team to deliver Fraud & Error analytics work and to act as a proactive link between operational, technical and analytical teams. They will need to be motivated to discover patterns in data and able to embed that insight in ways that enable the detection and prevention of fraud and error.
About you and the role
BPDTS Ltd is a new organisation that provides dedicated services to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
Our digital, data and technology specialists work closely with experts in DWP Digital’s community to make digital services quicker, simpler and more efficient for the millions of people that use them every day.
As public servants, we help make a difference to people at critical times in their lives – as they look for work, deal with illness or disability, support children after separation, or plan for retirement.
Operating on a scale unrivalled almost anywhere, our people work with experts in DWP Digital’s community to create effortless, secure and intuitive digital services that are used by millions of people.
Please note that these roles are subject to Security Clearance which may take up to 4-6 weeks.
What are we looking for?
Data Scientist – Fraud & Error (London) and Data Scientist -Service Design (Manchester or Leeds)
• Academic background in Maths, Statistics, Computer Science or similar experience and aptitude
• Practical experience delivering innovative, data driven solutions on large or complex data sets including gathering disparate data, extensive data manipulation, application of analytical techniques and visualisation of the results
• Good experience of a range of core analytics techniques ( regression, clustering) and how to avoid or mitigate the pitfalls
• Must have statistical programming e.g. R, Python and database languages e.g. SQL (or similar query-based or high level programming experience) to an intermediate level
• Delivery focused, applying 80:20 thinking and comfortable to create working software quickly as oppose to one-off insight or production strength solutions. Comfortable with Agile methodology and working in agile teams
• Good written and verbal communicator with the ability to present complex ideas simply to technical and non-technical audiences
• Strong stakeholder management skills and experience working with suppliers and stakeholders across all grades and working with internal/external stakeholders to deliver results
Data Scientist – Service Design (Manchester or Leeds)
• Own specific ‘projects’ (e.g. experiments or new capability) which includes identifying a specific business need and then determining the best tools, data and techniques to address it
• Engage with cross-functional digital teams of product owners, business analysts, user researchers, designers and developers to elicit the underlying causes of problems
• Develop rapid data-driven prototypes of creative solutions that test hypotheses with end users
• Create and validating models that can be embedded within applications.
• Disseminate data-driven insights and recommendations to a range of stakeholders in a powerful manner exploiting interactive visualisation techniques
• Actively participate in the wider capability development of Data Science in DWP through aspects such as code sharing or ‘show and tells’
• Keeping abreast of Data Science wider landscape and emerging technologies across Government and industry in order to help make DWP a leader
• Be responsible for executing the strategy for Data Science and helping realise the Department’s goals
• Work well with a variety of individuals to build community, capability and credibility
Data Scientist -Fraud and Error (London)
• Identification and monitoring of known risks across different loss types, and working with stakeholders to design the cost effective response(s).
• Proactive use of data science techniques, data sources and technology to discover unknown or un-quantified F&E behaviours or anomalies.
• Inputting into the design and implementation of wider counter fraud capabilities or service design improvements.
• Collaborative working with a wide group of business and technical stakeholders.
• Engaging with relevant teams and peers in DWP, other Government Depts. and others such as industry and academia.
• Ensuring all activities align to business value in keeping F&E levels low whilst adhering to key privacy, security and data protection principles.
• Development and advancement of the underlying capability in terms of the different data science techniques and model development.
Desirable Skills/Experience It’s great if you’ve got these, but if you don’t these are just some of the skills you’ll have chance to learn here with us.
Data Scientist – Service Design (Manchester or Leeds)
• Experience working in a product analytics or insight role, ideally with digital products or services
• Capable of tackling challenging problems that are often unknown or very loosely defined, with a passion and curiosity to ask great questions to truly understand what’s going on, and experience translating analysis into actionable recommendations
Data Scientist – Fraud and Error (London)
• Experience of using analytics for risk scoring, recommender solutions or other machine learning applications
• Have developed and/or exploited graph databases or link analysis
• Experience in developing and iterating fraud analytics models or similar customer behavioural analytics in a relevant organisation such as an online retailer, banking, or insurance business or secure government environment
Where will you work?
You’ll join us in one of our easy-to-reach digital hubs in either Manchester, Leeds or London.
Each of our nationwide hubs has been designed for and by members of our digital community. We provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multi-disciplinary teams think big and try new things.
Our central hubs have the best of each location on our doorstep, and we have a range of facilities inside from coffee shops and restaurants, to table tennis, a swimming pool, gym facilities and loads more. Get in touch to ask what facilities are available in your preferred location.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
What is our offer?
• We’ll reward you with a very competitive salary of up to £49,796 dependant on level of expertise
• You will be eligible for a pension with employer contributions of up to 10%
• We can offer you a performance-related annual bonus of up to 10%
• We’ll help you balance your life and work
• We’ll give you a generous leave allowance, with the option to buy and sell extra days
We also offer much more as part of a flexible benefits package – including a cycle to work scheme and lots of family friendly perks – which can be tailored to your lifestyle.
Building our future
We believe the work we do really matters, so we’re serious about investing in you.
You’ll have access to a huge suite of training and learning opportunities to complement the new skills you’ll acquire on the job. You’ll get the chance to share knowledge with colleagues from across our digital communities, and to grow your skills through our coaching and mentoring programmes.
For further information and to start your application click Apply. You will need to register your CV and add a supporting statement on our online application portal.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any additional details.