|Number of vacancies||1|
|Salary||Up to £45,412 per annum|
|Work hours||37 hours per week|
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 20%, generous annual leave, flexible working and lots more…
|Closing date||20 September 2019|
Do you want to be part of something really big?
Can you design and develop robust data solutions from multiple sources of structured data?
Do you have expertise in translating technical specs and creating conceptual, logical and physical designs?
Are you ready to be part of an epic digital transformation?
Then look no further, we’d love to hear from you!
If you’re creative and curious to learn, want to be empowered to make decisions and challenge the norm, and want to bring BIG ideas to a MASSIVE digital challenge then you’ll love it here. And we’d love to hear from you.
We’re looking for talented Data Solutions Designer to join our growing community of experts on our Data & Analytics practice and become a key part of one of the biggest and highest-profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies – and putting the user at the centre of everything we do – we create innovative digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users.
You and your role
The Data Solutions Designer role sits right at the heart of that transformation.
You’ll be part of the Agile delivery team for ChADS (Children and Analytics Data Service) a new strategic business intelligence solution in development for CMG that is based on Big Data technologies and aligned to the DWP strategic vision by using open source and cloud based technologies. The successful delivery of ChADS is seen as a key enabler in CMG delivering a quality service to customers and to Ministers.
You’ll be responsible for developing accurate, efficient data solutions which meet customer needs to agreed timescales to drive performance and changes and land this data. There will be a migration from the legacy platform to Hadoop.
Ensuring the stability, robustness and resilience of the products you design and build, and be in a position to affect changes to those products where necessary.
Maintaining and supporting continuous improvement of data engineering standards and engage with stakeholders at all stages of the data engineering lifecycle, from pre- feasibility/discovery through to delivery
This is a big challenge, but also a big opportunity. You will get the chance to work on one of the biggest, most ambitious Digital transformation programmes in the UK. You will have the chance to use and stretch your abilities, strengthen your experience and continue your professional development in a supportive environment. You will work alongside people who care passionately about public service, making a difference and delivering for our customers.
What are we looking for?
Essential Technical Skills
• Creating Technical requirements
• Process Modelling
• Experience of at least one programming language such as SQL
• Understanding of Data Engineer concepts – creating technical requirements using conceptual, logical and physical designs
• Project Management methodologies
Desirable Skills/ Experience
Ideally it would be great if you have these …but they are not essential..
• Knowledge of big data concepts/technologies, ETL, data warehouses, data lakes, big data and Opensource data
• Experience of developing data solutions on Oracle, Cloudera or Horton Works platforms
• Experience in Informatica BDM, Qlik, Sqoop or Kafka is also beneficial
What will I be doing?
• Providing technical leadership to the team and provide strategic direction to ensure the products they develop conform to data standards and strategic principals
• Translating business requirements to ensure they are clear and robust, and can be transformed into reusable production ready code and / or effective data models
• Designing exploitation solutions from multiple sources of structured data
• Interpreting complex data models and associated metadata to understand what data is available, its meaning and its fit for the product being designed
• Working with all members of the Agile team to ensure new data needs are identified, developed and tested in accordance with Agile methodologies
• Building strong working relationships within the Agile team and with project stakeholders
• Actively participating in design and analysis sessions to understand user needs
• Shaping solutions in a fit for purpose way; following the agreed principles and contribute to the overall Data Engineer Development lifecycle
• Supporting Quality Assurance colleagues and Data Managers responsible for the day to day testing and live running of data products and services
• Undertake structured data investigations using data analysis and data visualisation techniques to establish evidence base for best use of available data
• Develop data solutions that are performant, scalable and production ready
• Identifying, managing and resolving issues preventing the delivery or continuous development of products
Corinne our Lead Data Engineer shares our vision and talks about the value of data, how it improves people’s lives and what makes a great candidate in our recent webinar on data recruitment……click on the link to watch…
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in our brilliant digital hub in Newcastle. A short walk from Longbenton you’ll work on some of our most high-profile projects and enjoy facilities including coffee shops, snack bars, gym, sports courts and loads more.
Each of our hubs is a modern, vibrant workplace that was designed for and by members of our digital community.
We provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multidisciplinary teams think big and try new things. You will work alongside people who care passionately about public service, making a difference and delivering for our customers.
We’re the UK’s biggest government department with over 80,000 diverse and brilliant people on our team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £45,412 per annum, a brilliant civil service pension, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
• Flexible working
• Family friendly policies
• Volunteering and charitable giving
• Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
• Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
• Sports and social activities and lots more…
Building Our Future
We believe the work we do really matters, so we’re serious about investing in your ability.
You’ll have access to a huge suite of training and learning opportunities to complement the new skills and experience you’ll acquire on the job. You’ll share ideas with colleagues from across the tech community, and grow your skills via our coaching and mentoring programmes.
For further information click apply or contact email@example.com
Your contact will act as an expression of interest, and we will quickly get back to you with a full job description and details on how to formally apply.
To APPLY just click on the link below..