Number of vacancies
Blackpool, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Up to £44,032
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 20%, generous annual leave, flexible working, great work life balance and lots more.
12 April 2021
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
DWP is the UK’s largest government department. We deliver products and services that are used by millions of people in the UK, every day and at key moments in their lives. We are looking for a talented Infrastructure Engineers and DBAs to work with us on a once-in-a-generation digital transformation of these services.
You’ll join our DWP Digital community of experts. Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies – and putting the user at the centre of everything we do – we create innovative, scalable digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users and to our amazing DWP colleagues.
Duties. Work. Projects.
Working with other DBAs in the Data Platforms team you will design, implement and build innovative solutions at the cutting edge of database technology in DBaaS platforms, IaaS and our own Datacentre
You will use your experience as a DBA in NoSQL, RDBMS or document style database administration to help the DWP transform our existing on-premised database estate to one that is predominantly Cloud based.
Examples of work that you will be involved with are:
- Planning how to Patch our systems and raise changes on behalf of the operational DBAs
- Working out how to virtualise physical clusters and move systems to reduce dependencies between them
- Developing techniques to enable spin up/spin down capability of Oracle RAC installations into On Premise and Cloud platforms
- Managing the DWPs Database Roadmap
- Advising customers on what to deploy and assisting the Lead Engineer in producing designs.
- Developing experience in Self-Healing and auto diagnosis of all our database technologies.
- We have a lot of capability that we don’t use and you’ll be a key component in developing techniques and methods that use the new features in our database installations.
What skills, knowledge and experience will you need?
- Oracle data platforms OR SQL Server OR MongoDB
- Data Platform – Design and Build
- Data Centre Security, including security products and countermeasure techniques e.g. Firewalls, Server hardening
- Server virtualisation techniques, e.g. NFV, SDN, SD-WAN
Details. Wages. Perks.
You’ll join us in one of our brilliant digital hubs in Blackpool, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne:
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £44,032 a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth over 27%, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working
- Family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application. If you want to talk about this opportunity before you apply contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a bit of time we’d love you to check out our recent Infrastructure Engineering themed webinar: