|Location||Blackpool, Leeds, London or Newcastle-upon-Tyne|
|Salary||Up to £43,920|
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 20%, generous annual leave, flexible working, great work life balance and lots more.
|Closing date||16 October 2019|
Do you want to be part of something really big? If you’re creative and curious to learn, want to be empowered to make decisions and challenge the norm, and want to bring BIG ideas to a MASSIVE digital challenge then you’ll love it here. And we’d love to hear from you.
DWP are looking for Infrastructure Operations Engineers to work with us on in a once-in-a-generation digital transformation. Our people work on projects that are revolutionising products and services that are used by millions of people every day.
We know that better digital services in government will mean better public services. Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies – and putting the user at the centre of everything we do – we create innovative digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users.
This is a great opportunity to test and improve your skills as an Infrastructure operations engineer, while delivering something huge, unique and with the potential to touch millions of lives.
About your role
Our Infrastructure Operations Engineers are responsible for preparations and support of IT operations solutions and services. You will provide technical support and assistance to a diverse range of infrastructure and transition projects across the Data & Analytics (D&A) Data Warehouse services for analysts and D&A functional teams, ensuring delivery of a first class service.
Day-to-day you’ll work in a team of infrastructure specialists and engineers, where you will act as 2nd/3rd line support for incidents, problems and changes to solutions and services, and provide specialist technical support and assistance to projects ensuring services are delivered, iterated, and continually improved.
You will be responsible for preparations and support of IT Operations solutions and services, physical or virtual. You’ll take pride in delivering to industry and organisational best practice standards, service requirements and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
We think working in DWP Digital will get a chance to really learn, and grow, in a context and environment unlike any other. As part of our D&A team you’ll improve your knowledge in providing customer-centric data while actively improving services for the customer.
And you’ll work with loads of new technologies that are emerging in our Data and Analytics function, including data lineage SAAS federation server. As well as personally learning from and collaborating with the brilliant digital talent around you you will have chance to coach and mentor junior team members.
What skills, knowledge and experience are we looking for?
1. You should have experience of independently supporting and maintaining products.
2. You should have experience of Data Platforms, in particular:
- Data Platforms: relating to product management and operations.
- Infrastructure Operation Tooling: including service management; application performance management; network & systems configuration; enterprise tooling; monitoring & scripting of hosting infrastructure based on applications function and non-functional requirements.
3. More specifically we are looking for one or more of the following specific tooling skills relating to SAS or Informatica:
- Experience of installing and configuring different versions of SAS applications.
- Experience of administering SAS systems including knowledge of various SAS services such as SAS Metadata server, Object spawners and Stored Process servers.
- Strong Understanding of the SAS logging framework.
- Experience of active monitoring of SAS systems.
- Experience of installing and configuring different versions of Informatica PowerCenter, Data Quality and PowerExchange applications.
- Experience of administering and configuring Informatica applications on a grid infrastructure, including stopping and starting applications.
- Experience with disaster recovery in Informatica (Backup/Restore of both domain and repositories)
- Understanding of the Informatica catalogue databases for troubleshooting and running metadata queries Strong understanding of Informatica Administration commands e.g. pmrep, pmcmd and infacmd commands across multiple versions.
4. You should have experience of product management; data platform operations; service management; application management (e.g. managing data permissions, data access and application access) using tools such as:
- The main Infrastructure technologies in particular Unix scripting using Python, Bash and Korn.
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in one of our easy-to-reach digital hubs in your choice of London, Leeds, Blackpool or Manchester. Find out more about your preferred location here: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/
We provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multidisciplinary teams think big and try new things. You will work alongside people who care passionately about public service, making a difference and delivering for our customers.
We’re the UK’s biggest government department with over 80,000 diverse and brilliant people on our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £43,920 a brilliant civil service pension, and a generous leave package. We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working and family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Learning and development, coaching, mentoring, qualifications and career pathways
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application. If you want to talk about this opportunity before you apply contact me via email@example.com