Number of vacancies
Manchester or Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Up to £40,666
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 20%, generous annual leave, flexible working, great work life balance and lots more.
11 April 2021
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
DWP is the UK’s largest government department. We deliver products and services that are used by millions of people in the UK, every day and at key moments in their lives. We are looking for a talented Infrastructure Operations Engineer to work with us on a once-in-a-generation digital transformation of these services.
DWP Digital is the name of our growing community of digital experts. Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies – and putting the user at the centre of everything we do – we create innovative, scalable digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users and to our amazing DWP colleagues.
Duties. Work. Projects.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join DWP’s Hybrid Cloud Services team.
Here Infrastructure Operations Engineers are responsible for the operations of secure and highly available computing platforms, servers, and networks. They, install, maintain, upgrade, and continuously improve DWP’s operating environment. They also maintain the ongoing reliability, performance and support of the
- Monitoring the operating environments.
- Responding to incidents and problems.
- Planning for growth – by providing infrastructure solutions based on application needs and anticipated growth.
- Overall operation and maintenance of DWP digital infrastructure.
- Deployment of new technologies as well as design, install, configure, maintain and perform testing of PC/server operating systems, networks, and related utilities and hardware.
- Troubleshooting problems as reported by users.
Delivery. Work. Projects.
About you and your role:
As an Infrastructure Operations Engineer you will be responsible for preparations and support of IT operations solutions and services.
You will work in a team of infrastructure specialists and engineers making sure services are delivered and used as required.
You will act as 2nd/3rd line support for incidents, problems and changes to solutions and services, and will provide specialist technical support and assistance to projects ensuring delivery of requisite non- functional requirements and to continual service improvement.
You will be responsible for preparations and support of IT Operations solutions and services, physical or virtual, according to industry and organisational best practices standards, service requirements and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) throughout the lifecycle.
You will provide technical support and assistance to infrastructure and transition projects. Finally you are responsible for coaching and mentoring junior team members whilst assisting in the delivery of a first class service, and consistent levels of capability as required by the organisation
What skills, knowledge and experience will you need?
- Experience of supporting Windows Operating Systems up to Windows Server 2019 including roles and features such as RDS and Failover Clustering and Active Directory DNS and Group Policy Management in an enterprise environment.
- Experience of supporting Azure Cloud, HPE Blade System Architecture and Hyper Converged Infrastructure, specifically Nutanix Enterprise Cloud including exposure to technologies such as AOS, Prism, VMware, Hyper-V, and XenServer.
- Experience of developing and implementing proactive monitoring and alerting for critical infrastructure and services and of creating and developing scripted solutions such as: PowerShell, Batch, VBS and Ansible.
- Experience and successful track record of operation of products, services and techniques used to operate hosting services in large scale organisations.
- Experience of implementing, managing and supporting services that are aligned to the business strategy and operational requirements and successfully presenting the service portfolio/catalogue to non-technical audiences.
- Strong background in Service Management & Operations (particularly Request Fulfilment, Incident/Problem/Change Management) with experience of Service Transition.
Details. Wages. Perks.
You’ll join us in our brilliant digital hub in either Manchester, or Newcastle:
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working at home at the moment due to Covid-19.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £40,666, a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth over 27%, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working
- Family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application. If you want to talk about this opportunity before you apply contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a bit of time we’d love you to check out our recent Infrastructure Engineering themed webinar: