Number of vacancies
£39,957 — Up to £53,931
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 27%, generous annual leave, flexible working and lots more…
26 March 2021
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
We’re looking for talented Java Software Devs and Engineers with knowledge of software products to join our growing community of experts and become a key part of one of the biggest and high profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
As a Software Engineer you will be an integral part of the team designing and delivering products and services that are used by 22 million people in the UK. We work in a unique context, driven by an extraordinary purpose. We have problems to solve that you won’t find anywhere else in the UK. The scale and impact of the stuff you’ll be working on is off the scale.
Digital solutions, accessible products and services, are more important now than ever before. We need the best people to build and maintain services which will help us respond to the Covid-19 pandemic, and empower our users to get the support they need.
Development. Work. Projects.
You’ll join our London team as a Java Software Engineer where you’ll work on the most demanding and exciting new digital service for the UK government.
You’ll help us build DWP’s flagship welfare reform programme. It will change the face of public services and have the potential to dramatically transform the future of millions of people.
This is genuinely high-profile and critical stuff; the potential for growth, exposure and career development is huge.
This is a hands on role, where you’ll code. You’ll get to work closely with other engineers in a pair programming environment, and have time to get your head down and work alone when that’s the right approach too.
What really excites us is problem-solving and the opportunity to deliver innovative technology that carries real value for users. You’ll actively collaborate with others, and actively share input and insight with teammates from lots of different disciplines – developers, designers, researchers, architects, testers and more.
Our multi-disciplinary agile team is an incubator for ideas and ways of working that will influence the way things are done across UK government. We’re proving that our creative, innovative approach can work in the public sector, that technology can change lives, and that we can successfully transform the delivery of government products and services. If that sounds good, click APPLY now.
Your skills and tech:
- Recent experience with Java 8 (or newer) in large scale, transactional microservice architectures.
- Developing on cloud based environments like AWS and Azure
- Have a good understanding of TDD and BDD
- SQL and noSQL database applications such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB
- Distributed version control systems such as Git
- Containerisation – tools such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Have the skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment
- Have working knowledge of Unix-like operating systems such as Linux and/or Mac OS X
- Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures
- An understanding of responsive web design and progressive enhancement
Details. Wages. Perks.
You’ll join us in our brilliant new digital hub in London. Find out more about here: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/London
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £53,931, a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth more than 27%, and a generous leave package. We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working, flexi time and flexi days off
- Family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Bring your whole self to work, with I Can Be Me in DWP
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Learning, development, coaching and mentoring
- Career pathways and progression
- Award winning digital environment and culture
For further information and to start your application on Civil Service Jobs click apply. We’ll ask you to invest a bit of time in demonstrating that you have the skills we’re looking for in your application.
If you have any questions or you want more tips for success, reach out to me before you apply via Mimi.Enefiok@dwp.gov.uk
Check out some tips for getting hired here at DWP Digital via here and also this link