|Number of vacancies||1|
|Location||Leeds, Blackpool OR Newcastle|
|Salary||£59,258 — up to £71,154 per annum|
|Work hours||37 per week (flexible working)|
We have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
|Closing date||3 March 2020|
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
We’re looking for an experienced Lead Service Designer to join our growing community of experts and leaders. DWP is leading a once in a generation programme of welfare reform and you’ll drive forward a key part of one of the biggest and highest-profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
DWP currently has an enormously ambitious and challenging agenda, often working in partnership with the private and voluntary sector. We provide services and support to over 20 million people, are responsible for over 730 million benefit payments each year.
At the heart of this massive agenda is the digital transformation of the services the DWP provides, which will radically improve how government interacts with people. The services will be easier and swifter to access; the time taken to develop new services will be decreased and the cost of delivery reduced significantly.
Design. Work. Projects.
You and your role
As a Lead Service Designer, you’ll be playing an active leadership role in the Service Design team. Providing expert advice and guidance to develop prototypes and service design patterns, across whole services (including non-digital parts), that meet with user needs and department objectives.
You will provide leadership at program level, and use your understanding of users’ behaviour and evidence to help support strategy decisions,
You’ll lead on the development of the department’s design patterns and standards, as well as that of the service design community within the department and across government.
You’ll also set the hiring strategy for the service design team, leading on recruitment of new design talent. And you will manage, coach and mentor less experienced colleagues.
At times you will have chance to champion user-centred design by representing DWP Digital at events, and you will always lead on on the creation and maintenance of a positive and collaborative working environment.
What skills and experience are we looking for?
It is essential that you:
• are recognised as an industry specialist or expert capable of giving significant advice and guidance to others
• have a proven track record of working from a digital perspective, including iterating service design for complex situations and difficult or technical problems and processes
• are able to demonstrate experience of engaging multidisciplinary teams with a user-centred design process and of explaining design decisions in a way that other people understand
• have led workshops with a focus on a user-centred design approach, with substantial experience of using user research and data to make design decisions
• have taken the lead in setting design priorities, have experience of consulting regularly with senior stakeholders and understand how your work fits into the wider context of a team
It would also be useful if you:
• have experience of sharing design ideas quickly through sketching or prototyping
• are able to manage other people’s work, including planning work and checking it to make sure it’s consistent and appropriate across products and services
• have experience of sharing your work both inside and outside the design community you work in (for example, by writing or speaking about your work publicly)
Click this link to check out tips for getting hired here at DWP Digital
Where will you work?
You’ll join our team with a base office of your choice of one of our Digital Hubs at either Blackpool, Leeds OR Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
Please click this link to find out more about what is on offer at each site.
We’re the UK’s biggest government department with over 80,000 diverse and brilliant people on our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
We provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multidisciplinary teams think big and try new things. You will work alongside people who care passionately about public service, making a difference and delivering for our customers.
CLICK APPLY for further information and to start an application on Civil Service Jobs.
If you have any questions of you want to discuss the role before you apply get in touch via email@example.com