Number of vacancies
£60,740 — £80,000 per annum
37 per week (flexible working)
We have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
• Flexible working
• Family friendly policies
• Volunteering and charitable giving
• Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
• Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket
• Sports and social activities
• Learning and development, including coaching, mentoring, qualifications and accreditation
• Work in an environment shortlisted for a Best Place to Work in Digital Award
• Career progression opportunities and lots more
1 February 2021
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
We’re looking for an experienced Lead Solution Architect to help drive forward our small team of solution architects for the Digital Universal Credit (UC) & Working Age directorate.
DWP are the biggest payer in the UK, helping some 22m citizens live better lives by paying around £170bn annually. We deliver money on time and in the form that best works for our citizens, so that they can use it to help address their specific needs.
The Digital UC and Working Age directorate are responsible for more than 50 key DWP applications covering working age customers, and this role includes architecture support for Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Social Fund and DWP labour market systems.
This role is ideally suited to an architect who can work with other solution architects and engineers, and delivery teams, to drive the design and development of Digital products and services, and their strategic roadmap. Someone who can provide expertise in micro-service and event-based system design, and active contribution to the wider DWP Architecture Practice.
Being an Architect here at DWP Digital is challenging, but rewarding. Check out the following blogs and hear from those currently meeting that challenge head on:
My life as an enterprise architect in DWP Digital…
Inside the mind of a security architect
My surprise on returning to DWP Digital
Duties. Work. Projects.
We want you to provide a deep understanding of business goals and processes that informs the technical architecture roadmap.
As a champion of solution communication, you will make the complex simple to understand in support of delivery teams, providing a consistent set of solution views, that communicate and describe the construction of the solution to all stakeholders.
Leading and delivering the technical and architecture design elements of large-scale projects & initiatives, you will work with engineering teams, policy, legal, and other Digital stakeholders, to create VFM solution designs.
You will be supporting delivery teams, blending your technical and behavioural skills to ensure technical quality and adherence of solution designs to the DWP Digital Blueprint, Enterprise Architecture and Product Roadmaps.
Driving resolution of technical debt, we want you to reduce the ongoing cost of DWP IT services, by identifying, capturing, sharing, iterating & implementing architecture patterns.
You will manage (including coaching and mentoring) a small team of Solution Architects and the associated architecture design backlog and take the lead on the development of the Architecture Practice within the department and across wider government.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate they have skills and experience in:
• architecture design and modelling techniques, patterns, tools and standards
• microservice and API-led architecture and integration design tools, techniques and best practice
• event-based architecture design, patterns (including pub-sub and data streaming), modelling techniques, tools and standards
• public cloud technologies, cloud hosting, container, serverless, and networking design patterns, tools and best practice (e.g. Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform)
• agile / DevOps delivery methodologies and best practice
• shaping and supporting technology initiatives, projects, programmes and portfolios
Where will you work?
You’ll join our team with a base office at our Digital Hub in Leeds.
We also all have the tech and tools we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
Click here to check out the Digital Hub’s location
We provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multidisciplinary teams think big and try new things. You will work alongside people who care passionately about public service, making a difference and delivering for our customers.
CLICK APPLY for further information start an application on Civil Service Jobs.
Check out some tips for getting hired here at DWP Digital via here and also this link