|Number of vacancies||2|
|Location||Newcastle and Leeds|
|Salary||£48,806 — up to 60,535|
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 27%, generous annual leave, flexible working and work life balance.
|Closing date||22 November 2019|
Do you want to be part of something really big? Do you have expertise in Hadoop stack, Spark, Hive or Impala?
Do you have experience in ETL tooling pipelines? And are you ready to be part of an epic digital transformation? Then look no further, we’d love to hear from you!
We’re looking for talented Big Data Engineers to join our growing community of experts on our Data & Analytics practice and become a key part of one of the biggest and highest-profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies – and putting the user at the centre of everything we do – we create innovative digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users.
If you’re creative and curious to learn, want to be empowered to make decisions and challenge the norm, and want to bring BIG ideas to a MASSIVE digital challenge then you’ll love it here. And we’d love to hear from you.
You and your role
The Senior Big Data Engineer role sits right at the heart of DWP’s transformation.
Our Big Data Engineers are responsible for the creation and maintenance of analytics infrastructure, providing the foundations for data needs. You will be responsible for the development, construction, maintenance and testing of architectures, such as databases and large-scale processing systems, implementing data flows to connect operational systems and writing and executing ETL scripts and codes.
You will also be responsible for leading, managing and delivering all aspects of data development activities to meet customer needs to agreed timescales
You will own the overall Data Engineering Development process within Data Engineering, alongside setting strategies for products and the wider community.
You will also provide technical leadership to a team of Data Engineers, along with providing oversight to the products they develop.
This role present a big challenge, and for the right person a great opportunity. You will get the chance to work on one of the biggest, most ambitious Digital transformation programmes in the UK. You will have the chance to use and stretch your abilities, strengthen your experience and continue your professional development in a supportive environment.
Check out Corinne our Lead Data Engineer sharing our vision and talking about the value of data, how it improves people’s lives and what makes a great candidate in our recent webinar on data recruitment
What skills, knowledge and experience do I need?
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process: 1. Technical Breadth & 2. Communicating, Analysis & Insight
You’ll need to be able to demonstrate in depth knowledge and experience in the application of the following skills:
- Extensive proven experience of big data engineering techniques and concepts using the Hadoop Stack (Cloudera/EMR), including data ingestion, processing and storage using HDFS, Spark, Hive and Impala
- Extensive, hands-on experience of large complex Data Engineering projects designing and developing ETL pipelines in a cloud or on premise environment
- Experience of design and implementation of data storage, including HDFS, S3, relational and NoSQL * Experience of developing/utilising programming and query languages e.g. SQL, Java, Scala
- Creating Technical requirements
- Process Modelling
- Experience of at least one programming language such as SQL
- Understanding of Data Engineer concepts – creating technical requirements using conceptual, logical and physical designs
- Project Management methodologies
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in our brilliant digital hub in Leeds or Newcastle.
Each of our hubs is a modern, vibrant workplace that was designed for and by members of our digital community. Find out more about our hubs here: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/
We provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multidisciplinary teams think big and try new things. You will work alongside people who care passionately about public service, making a difference and delivering for our customers.
We’re the UK’s biggest government department with over 80,000 diverse and brilliant people on our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £60,535, a brilliant civil service pension of 27% + and a generous leave package. We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working
- Family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Learning and development, coaching and mentoring within a supportive and active Data community
For further information and ro start an application click apply now. Or contact me via email@example.com if you’d like to discuss first.