|Number of vacancies||4|
|Location||London, Newcastle-upon-Tyne or Sheffield|
|Salary||£49,171 — £68,096|
|Work hours||37 hours per week|
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 27%, generous annual leave, flexible working, great work life balance and lots more.
|Closing date||13 August 2020|
Do you have expertise in Open–Source technologies /Python/SQL/R programming?
Do you want to get your teeth into complex unstructured data and make a significant impact by providing valuable insights?
And are you ready to be part of an epic digital transformation?
Then look no further, we’d love to hear from you!
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
In DWP Digital, our work enables some of the most vulnerable in society to access the support and services they need. As a Senior Data Scientist your contribution will help DWP develop digital products and services that work for millions uses. It’s especially critical in the extraordinary context created by COVID-19.
You’ll help us to convert raw data complex unstructured data into insights and recommendations so that DWP can shape real change to products and services used by millions and ultimately optimise digital services.
This includes work on flagship programmes like Universal Credit, using data analysis to prevent and detect fraud and error in our benefits system including serious organised crime, as well Operational Analytics, and our Health Transformation programme.
Take a look at this video to find out what Daniel enjoys about being a Data Scientist in DWP Digital: https://twitter.com/DWPDigitalJobs/status/1093862048201654272
Duties. Work. Projects.
DWP is undertaking a major digital transformation programme and data science has an important role to play. We’re enabling better design of services, making them increasingly personalised to each individual’s circumstances and making big shifts in our effectiveness and efficiency.
Our programme of work is huge, uniquely challenging and multi-faceted. You will need to be a self-starter who is motivated by using impactful and creative application of data science with the aim of meeting user needs.
We design and build services that are simple and responsive, and make timely accurate and understandable decisions that help people get the right support.
You’ll work with expert, multi-disciplinary agile teams, where you’ll turn data into insight and recommendations that directly impact the way our digital services are designed, developed and delivered.
What are we looking for?
You will need the skills, knowledge and experience to:
• Lead strands of data science work and/or multiple projects which includes identifying the specific business need, data gathering, determining the best tools, data and techniques, and influencing the business case for delivery.
• Engage with cross-functional, multu-disciplinatry digital teams to challenge existing perceptions, elicit the underlying causes of problems and inefficiencies and support design objectives.
• Use a range of coding practices to build scalable data products for a range of users within a technology context (e.g. big data, unstructured, cloud).
• Use Agile techniques and work as part of a delivery team;
• Shape rapid data-driven prototypes of creative solutions. This will include data analytics that find opportunities and problems, rapid prototypes of data-drive tools testing hypotheses with stakeholders and end users, and machine learning models.
• Disseminate data-driven insights and recommendations to a range of technical and non-technical stakeholders, exploiting interactive visualisation techniques.
• Influence and engage with the wider Data Science landscape, defining methods, standards and other best practices, to help DWP become a leader in Data Science.
• Stay up to date with emerging technologies, market and industry trends and encourage adoption of best practice.
• Demonstrate understanding of the ethical considerations of potential data science approaches (such as unintended biases), and the legislation applicable in this area, i.e. GDPR, DPA etc.
Academic background (a degree or equivalent, or higher qualification) in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science OR similar experience and aptitude essential.
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in your choice of our digital hubs in London, Newcastle and Sheffield. Find out more about working in our hubs here: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/
We’re also have all the tools and tech we need to work flexibly, and many of us are currently working from home due to Covid-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
Details. Wages. Perks.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £68,096 per annum, a brilliant civil service pension, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
• Flexible working
• Family friendly policies
• Volunteering and charitable giving
• Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
• Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
• Sports and social activities
• Learning and development, tailored to your role and career
Click apply to complete an online application via civil service jobs.
For further information click apply or contact firstname.lastname@example.org