|Number of vacancies||1|
|Location||Newcastle ,Blackpool or Manchester|
|Salary||Up to £65,000|
|Work hours||37.5 hours per week|
|Employment type||12 month fixed term contract|
Our flexible benefits package includes employer pension contributions of up to 10%, a performance related annual bonus of up to 10%, and lots more.
|Closing date||12 July 2019|
Do you want to be part of something really big?
Do you have solid expertise as a DB2 DBA in complex service improvement?
Do you have excellent stakeholder management skills?
Do you want to help us pioneer a Cloud/Azure based environment?
Are you ready to be part of an epic digital transformation?
Then click APPLY now, we’d love to hear from you…
About you and the role
BPDTS Ltd provides technology services including Application Development Maintenance and Support to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
You will be part of an organisation responsible for the delivery of digital platforms and services, real-time analytics and flexible infrastructure, providing secure and resilient services to DWP. Joining an innovative, supportive community of skilled digital professionals, you will work in agile and creative ways in order to improve technology services, to the benefit of nearly every UK citizen.
This is an extraordinary role and a real personal growth opportunity working in the DBA Capability team which sits in the BPDTS Engineering & QA Practice supporting 9 Database platforms and 128 applications providing databases as a leveraged service to IT Service Management and other areas of the DWP Business.
Please note that these roles will be subject to Security Clearance which may take up to 4-6 weeks.
What are we looking for?
The role will involve providing Production Operations Application DBA support for DB2 Environments including monitoring and tuning, backup and recovery, patching, database sizing/capacity management, problem determination and resolution and technical documentation.
Working hours are flexible but the team provides 24×7 on call cover on a rota basis and the successful candidate would be expected to join the rota.
As a Senior Database Administrator you will administer, support and maintain database servers and DB2 instances across production, pre-production and disaster recovery environments. You’ll assess, impact, test and apply DB2 patches and Assess, impact, recommend and apply DB2 database version upgrades as part of planned release activity.
- Minimum of 4-5 years DB2 (v9, 10, 11) with specific related knowledge of business critical databases (production, pre-production, disaster recovery as well as test environments)
- Modifying the database structure, as necessary, from information given by application developers
- Enrolling users and maintaining system security
- Controlling and monitoring user access to the database
- Monitoring and optimising the performance of the database
- Planning for backup and recovery of database information
- Maintaining archived data
- Backing up and restoring databases
- Extensive experience in performance tuning the database
- ITIL Service Operations (particularly Request Fulfilment, Incident/Problem/Change Management) and with experience of Service Transition
- Ability to work in a disciplined environment under pressure to meet challenging objectives and timescales
- Other areas of technology and solutions – exposure to/or technical capability across projects and service lifecycle e.g. applications development, DevOps, solutions architecture, Operational Acceptance Testing, service support.
- Knowledge, working practices and System administration of other databases (Oracle, SQL, Mongo DB)
- Service reporting – production of management information and reports, dashboards etc.
Supporting services that are aligned to the business strategy and operational requirements.
- Deep knowledge of Directory and Authorisation services (LDAP etc.)
- Exposure to structured problem management and troubleshooting
- Strong experience in the operation and support of IT Operations, infrastructure and application technologies and solutions – hardware, software, commercial off the shelf (COTS) and Opensource packages/solutions, virtual and cloud including LaaS, PaaS, SaaS
Where will you work?
You’ll join us in one of our easy-to-reach digital hubs in either Blackpool, Newcastle or Manchester.
Each of our nationwide hubs has been designed for and by members of our digital community. We provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multi-disciplinary teams think big and try new things.
In Blackpool you’ll enjoy great facilities including a gym, coffee shops, snack bars and a restaurant. We have lots of parking, and we share our site with wonderful wildlife including rabbits, birds, koi carp, and recently a family of otters. It’s a great place to work.
In Newcastle we’re really close to Longbenton Metro station. It’s a great site with loads of cool facilities, like our gym, our indoor sports court, our great restaurants, cafes and snack bars and loads more. It’s a really collaborative, friendly place where we host regular events and meet ups.
In Manchester you will be in our vibrant new hub in the heart of the city, St Peter’s Square close to tram, 5 mins walk to Oxford Road train station with restaurants and shops on the doorstep.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
What is our offer?
- We’ll reward you with a very competitive salary of up to £65,000 per annum dependant on level of expertise
- You will be eligible for a pension with employer contributions of up to 10%
- We can offer you a performance-related annual bonus of up to 10%
- We’ll help you balance your life and work
- We’ll give you a generous leave allowance, with the option to buy and sell extra days
We also offer much more as part of a flexible benefits package – including a cycle to work scheme and lots of family friendly perks – which can be tailored to your lifestyle.
Building our future
We believe the work we do really matters, so we’re serious about investing in you.
You’ll have access to a huge suite of training and learning opportunities to complement the new skills you’ll acquire on the job. You’ll get the chance to share knowledge with colleagues from across our digital communities, and to grow your skills through our coaching and mentoring programmes.
Hit APPLY for more information and to continue your application on our careers page. There you will also find candidate pack with more information, which you can download by clicking the ‘Candidate Information Pack’ button.
You’ll need to register (you can use your LinkedIn profile so it’s fast) and then complete a short application form where you’ll upload a CV.
If you have any questions or you want to discuss this opportunity please contact firstname.lastname@example.org