Number of vacancies
Manchester or Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Up to £59,589
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 20%, generous annual leave, flexible working, great work life balance and lots more.
18 April 2021
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
DWP is the UK’s largest government department. We deliver products and services that are used by millions of people in the UK, every day and at key moments in their lives. We are looking for a talented Senior Infrastructure Operations Engineer to work with us on a once-in-a-generation digital transformation of these services.
DWP Digital is our growing community of digital experts. Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies – and putting the user at the centre of everything we do – we create innovative, scalable digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users and to our amazing DWP colleagues.
Duties. Work. Projects.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join DWP Hybrid Cloud Services as a Senior Infrastructure Operations Engineer and Infrastructure Operations Engineers and to be part of the one the biggest digital transformations in Europe, implementing leading edge technologies with the user at the centre of everything we do – we create innovative digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users.
Our Infrastructure Operations Engineers are responsible for the operations of secure and highly available computing platforms, servers, and networks.
They, install, maintain, upgrade, and continuously improve DWP’s operating environment. They also maintain the ongoing reliability, performance and support of the infrastructure.
Strong candidates will have:
- Significant experience in hosting operations
- Significant experience of the main Infrastructure technologies – Compute, Network, Storage
- Extensive experience in product management
- Significant experience in influencing design and engineering decisions around hosting infrastructure
- Knowledge of the operations techniques for network services to support data at protective marking levels.
What skills, knowledge and experience will you need to demonstrate in your application?
- Experience of supporting Windows Operating Systems (up to Windows Server 201) including roles and features such as RDS and Failover Clustering and Active Directory DNS and Group Policy Management in an enterprise environment.
- Experience of supporting Azure Cloud, HPE Blade System Architecture and Hyper Converged Infrastructure, specifically Nutanix Enterprise Cloud including exposure to technologies such as AOS, Prism, VMware, Hyper-V, and XenServer.
- Experience of developing and implementing proactive monitoring and alerting for critical infrastructure and services and of creating and developing scripted solutions such as: PowerShell, Batch, VBS and Ansible.
- Experience and successful track record of operation of products, services and techniques used to operate hosting services in large scale organisations.
- Experience of implementing, managing and supporting services that are aligned to the business strategy and operational requirements and successfully presenting the service portfolio/catalogue to non-technical audiences.
- Background in Service Management & Operations (particularly Request Fulfilment, Incident/Problem/Change Management) with experience of Service Transition.
Details. Wages. Perks.
You’ll join us in our brilliant digital hub in Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £59,589 a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth over 27%, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working
- Family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application. If you want to talk about this opportunity before you apply contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a bit of time we’d love you to check out our recent Infrastructure Engineering themed webinar: