|Salary||Up to £64,656|
|Work hours||36 per week (flexible working)|
In addition to salary there is a very competitive pension, a generous annual leave allowance, great work/life balance include flexible working, family friendly policies and much more.
|Closing date||30 November 2020|
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
We’re looking for talented, experienced Java Software Devs and Engineers with knowledge of software products to join our growing community of experts and become a key part of one of the biggest and high profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be an integral part of the team designing and delivering products and services that are used by 22 million people in the UK, including your friends, family, neighbours and some of the most vulnerable people in our society.
If you’re looking for a role that differs from the norm, where you will use your skills to help real people, you won’t find a bigger, more challenging and rewarding opportunity anywhere in the UK. Click through or get in touch to find out more.
Duties. Work. Projects. You and your role.
You’ll join our London team as a Senior Java Software Engineer where you’ll work on the most demanding and exciting new digital service for the UK government.
You’ll help steer and build DWP’s flagship welfare reform programme, one that will change the face of public services and have the potential to dramatically transform the future of millions of people. This is genuinely high-profile and critical stuff; the potential for growth, exposure and career development is huge.
You can code and you will code. This is a hands on role, where you’ll lead by example.
You’ll use your knowledge and experience of delivering multiple products to get the best technical output from our talented teams and to build our capability.
Here we build and run applications that help our users access the services they need. Digital solutions, in the form of accessible products and services, are more important now than ever before.
What really excites us is problem-solving and the opportunity to deliver innovative technology that carries real value for users. You’ll draw value from collaboration with others, and actively share input and insight with teammates from lots of different disciplines – developers, designers, researchers, architects, testers and more.
Our multi-disciplinary agile team is a testing ground and an incubator for ideas and ways of working that will influence the way things are done across government. We’re proving that our creative, innovative approach can work in the public sector, that technology can change lives, and that we can successfully transform the delivery of government products and services. We want you to help us.
- Design and lead the strategies for building reusable libraries and services.
- Own the development of medium-long term strategies for product lines and the Software Engineering Community.
- Provide 3rd line support on products developed, including out of hours support as and when required.
- Lead Software Engineering teams providing technical leadership and guidance. Including coaching and mentoring your team and their professional development.
- Contribute and set strategic direction for product team and the wider Software Engineering community.
- Lead the collaboration & sharing of knowledge and good practice with the wider software engineering community.
- Lead and support community discussions about best practice within Software Engineering.
- Recent experience with Java 8 (or newer) in large scale, transactional microservice architectures.
- Developing on cloud based environments like AWS and Azure
- Have a good understanding of TDD and BDD
- SQL and noSQL database applications such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB
- Distributed version control systems such as Git
- Containerisation – tools such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Have the skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment
- Have working knowledge of Unix-like operating systems such as Linux and/or Mac OS X
- Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures
- An understanding of responsive web design and progressive enhancement
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in our brilliant new digital hub in London. Find out more about here: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/London
We are a building a Software Engineering community that believes in nurturing the talent of our people, and here you’ll step onto a career path with many opportunities to develop and expand your knowledge base and skill set.
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
Details. Wages. Perks.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £64,656, a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth more than 27%, and a generous leave package. We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Learning, development, coaching and mentoring
- Career pathways and progression
- And lots more
For further information and to start your application click apply.
We value capability over experience, and we’ll ask you to demonstrate the depth and breadth of your skills/knowledge in your application. We want to see what have you delivered before when using our key technologies, what technical solutions have you shaped, your knowledge of providing technical product support. Show us what you can do.
If you want a chat before you apply, get in touch with me via firstname.lastname@example.org