|Location||Blackpool or Manchester|
|Salary||Up to £61,000|
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 20%, generous annual leave, flexible working, great work life balance and lots more.
|Closing date||15 October 2019|
Do you want to be part of something really big? If you’re creative and curious to learn, want to be empowered to make decisions and challenge the norm, and want to bring BIG ideas to a MASSIVE digital challenge then you’ll love it here. And we’d love to hear from you.
DWP are looking for a talented Technical Architect with skills and experience in the Data domain to work with us on in a once-in-a-generation digital transformation. Our people work on projects that are revolutionising products and services that are used by millions of people every day.
We know that better digital services in government will mean better public services. Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies – and putting the user at the centre of everything we do – we create innovative digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users.
DWP is the UK’s largest government department. Our products and services are used by millions of people every day, including some of our society’s most vulnerable. We have a very large number of projects and applications that need to be built and maintained. We generate, protect and share data on a scale unmatched anywhere else in the UK. We believe we have a data architecture challenge unlike anything else out there; if you have the skills and the appetite to take it on, we’d love to hear from you.
About your role
Our Senior Technical Domain Architects describe and ensure conformance of solutions, products and services to agreed architecture policies, principles and patterns. You are a specialist in your field of data architecture, able to advise, steer and govern solution design.
You’ll be part of a small team, within the wider support structure of the Architecture community, where you will set the strategy and the policies/principles around data architecture for DWP. You will provide assurance and governance on data activity for other architects in delivery projects and help to steer them in right direction, always delivering with the objective of meeting user needs
You’ll need to be a holistic systems thinker who can drive and evolve a complex technical vision. You’ll encourage flexible thinking and appreciate new, emerging insights and multiple perspectives as a way to solve problems and steer technical direction.
As a Senior Data Domain Architects you will share your data domain knowledge and experience, shaping our IT and Data strategy. This will include definition of the tools and techniques most appropriate for the environment, so we are looking for someone with a deep understanding of the data Domain.
What skills, knowledge and experience are we looking for?
- Conceptual, logical and physical data modelling and design
- Data warehousing, business intelligence (BI) and analytics technologies, design patterns, tools and best practice
- Database design/ modelling technologies, design patterns, tools and best practice (e.g. Oracle RDBMS/ IBM DB2/ Microsoft SQL Server)
- NoSQL and Open Source database and data warehouse design/modelling, technologies, design patterns, tools and best practice (e.g. Apache Hive, Apache Hadoop, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Couchbase, Cassandra, Amazon DynamoDB, Neo4J)
- Analytics and Big Data design/modelling, technologies, design patterns, tools and best practice (e.g. Talend Data Fabric/ Denodo/ Oracle Big Data/ IBM InfoSphere/ Paxata Adaptive Information Platform/ Hortonworks Data Platform/ SAP HANA & Data Hub)
- Mainframe data and database design/modelling, technologies, design patterns, tools and best practice (e.g. VME IDMS / CA-Datacom)
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in an easy-to-reach digital hub in either Blackpool or Manchester
Our Blackpool hub is based on the outskirts of the city and is a 15 minute drive from the station. There are also local buses that stop nearby. Its facilities include a gym, TechBar, canteen, coffee shop, deli bar, vending machines, ATM banking, cycle shelter and showers.
Our Manchester hub is based in the city centre and is easily accessible by tram, bus or rail. Its facilities include a TechBar, café, cycle shelter, showers, Wudu washing facilities, GDS Academy, user experience lab and UX command centre.
We’re the UK’s biggest government department with over 80,000 diverse and brilliant people on our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary of up to £61,000 a brilliant civil service pension, and a generous leave package. We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working and family friendly policies
- Time off for volunteering and easy charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Learning, development, career progression, coaching and mentoring and a strong, supportive architecture community
- And lots more…
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application. If you want to talk about this opportunity before you apply contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org