Up to £46,004
A brilliant Civil Service pension with employer contributions circa 27%, generous annual leave, flexible working, great work life balance and lots more.
14 August 2020
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
We’re looking for software engineers with a test driven approach and open source skills to join our team in Blackpool. We’re delivering innovative solutions that are improving the lives of our citizens, increasing availability and enabling faster payments. Come join our growing community of experts and become a key part of one of the biggest and most-high profile digital transformations in the world.
As a Software Engineer you will be an integral part of the DWP Digital team, designing and delivering products and services that are used by 22 million people in the UK, including friends, family, neighbours and some of the most vulnerable people in our society.
Duties. Work. Projects – You and your role:
This is an extraordinary time and we’ve never needed talented and motivated digital professionals like you more than we do right now. Here you’ll write code and build applications that enable people to better access the support they need, when they need it.
In Blackpool, we’re a collaborative, pragmatic and multi-disciplinary team with a culture that is relaxed, open and driven by a desire to achieve. We use the latest tech and tooling, and whatever else we need to get the job done, and work on cloud and microservice architectures.
What really excites us is problem-solving and the opportunity to deliver innovative technology that carries real value for users. You’ll draw value from collaboration with others, and actively share input and insight with teammates from lots of different disciplines – developers, designers, researchers, architects, testers and more.
What skills, knowledge and experience will you need?
You’ll need to be able to:
- Deliver software products which make up services used by millions
- Ensure system robustness, resilience and stability.
- Design and develop reusable libraries and services and promote reuse across the department.
- Assure that there is a fit for purpose, robust automated test suite.
- Assist in the development of medium-long term strategies for products.
- Collaborate across teams and liaise with Principal Software Engineers and Technical Architects to investigate technical solutions.
- Provide 2nd line support on products developed, including out of hours support as needed.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to Software Engineer colleagues and peers.
Your technical Skills:
- Developing on cloud based environments like AWS and Azure
- Have a good understanding of TDD and BDD
- SQL and noSQL database applications such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB
- Distributed version control systems such as Git
- Containerisation – tools such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Have the skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment
- Have working knowledge of Unix-like operating systems such as Linux and/or Mac OS X
- Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in our brilliant digital hub in Blackpool. Find out more about our Blackpool hub here: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/blackpool
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
Responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy, DWP transacts around £170 billion in payments each year, operates out of more than 800 locations and has over 84,000 employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
Development. Wages. Perks.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £46,004 a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth over 27%, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working
- Family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application.