|Salary||Up to £46,004|
In addition to salary there is a very competitive pension, a generous annual leave allowance, great work/life balance include flexible working, family friendly policies and much more.
|Closing date||24 June 2020|
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
We’re looking for an intuitive software engineer with a Test Driven approach to join our team in Manchester. We’re delivering innovative solutions that are improving the lives of our citizens, increasing availability and enabling faster payments. Come join our growing community of experts and become a key part of one of the biggest and most high profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
As a Software Engineer you will be an integral part of the team, designing and delivering products and services that are used by 22 million people in the UK, including friends, family, neighbours and some of the most vulnerable people in our society.
Duties. Work. Projects – You and your role:
We’re engaged and delivering critical products and services. We’ve never needed talented and motivated digital professionals like you more.
Our Manchester team are implementing an Application Programming Interface (API) led integration strategy to create products to drive frictionless data sharing across DWP and other government department. You’ll help us and build on the great things we’ve achieved so far, like enabling £200 million of payments to around 300,000 households who made new claims at the end of March 2020.
We’re a collaborative, pragmatic and multi-disciplinary team with a culture that is relaxed, open and driven by a desire to achieve. We use the latest tech and tooling, and whatever else we need to get the job done, and work on cloud and microservice architectures.
What really excites us is problem-solving and the opportunity to deliver innovative technology that carries real value for users. You’ll draw value from collaboration with others, and actively share input and insight with teammates from lots of different disciplines – developers, designers, researchers, architects, testers and more.
We’ve got big plans for our work with cloud and microservice architectures and we welcome candidates who are keen to work with Terraform tools and Devops practices.
- Deliver software products which make up services for our citizens to consume.
- Ensure system robustness, resilience and stability.
- Design and develop reusable libraries and services and promote reuse across the department.
- Assure there is a fit for purpose, robust automated test suite.
- Assist in the development of medium-long term strategies for products.
- Collaborate across teams and liaise with Principal Software Engineers and Technical Architects to investigate technical solutions.
- Provide 2nd line support on products developed, including out of hours support as and when required.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to Software Engineer colleagues and peers.
- Developing on cloud based environments like AWS and Azure
- Have a good understanding of TDD and BDD
- Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures
Where You’ll Work
You’ll join us in our brilliant new digital hub in Manchester. Find out more about here: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/manchester
We are a building a Software Engineering community that believes in nurturing the talent of our people, and here you’ll step onto a career path with many opportunities to develop and expand your knowledge base and skill set.
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
Details. Wages. Perks.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £46,004, a brilliant civil service pension, and a generous leave package. We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Learning, development, coaching and mentoring
- Career pathways and progression
- And lots more
For further information and to start your application click apply.
We value capability over experience, and we’ll ask you to demonstrate the depth and breadth of your skills/knowledge in your application. We want to see what have you delivered before when using our key technologies, what technical solutions have you shaped, your knowledge of providing technical product support. Show us what you can do.
If you want to discuss the role with us please contact me via email@example.com