The real-world experience you gain will help you get the skills you need to become a specialist in DWP Digital. Our specialist roles include DevOps engineer, business analyst, end-user computing engineer, infrastructure engineer, software engineer and data engineer.
Once you successfully complete your apprenticeship, we’ll support you in exploring opportunities in DWP Digital, or in another government department.
You’ll focus on implementing and facilitating a DevOps culture in DWP Digital. And help to deliver services to 22 million people in the UK. You’ll learn:
- common practices while working in a DevOps environment, including agile, scrum, continuous integration, deployment and delivery of a product.
- networking and security principles both generally and within a DevOps context.
- DevOps tools and technologies.
- how to develop and architect infrastructure and automation pipelines.
- engineering skills to create automated, verifiable infrastructure and pipelines.
You’ll work with colleagues and other digital specialists to:
- focus efforts into building things that people need.
- bring about changes and improvements to organisations.
- help improve how citizens interact with government.
- break down complex information into easier to understand chunks.
You’ll learn business analyst skills like business process modelling, requirements engineering and management, stakeholder analysis and investigation techniques. You’ll build your experience under the guidance of other business analysts and through the support of a wider network of professionals.
End-user computing engineer
You’ll provide support to IT end users by using tools to categorise and troubleshoot issues, setting people up on systems, providing support, and resolving issues to maintain organisational productivity. Your role involves:
- solving various IT problems including providing remote support.
- analysing service and component availability, reliability, maintainability and serviceability.
- ensuring that services and components meet and continue to meet all of their agreed performance targets and service levels.
- developing awareness of the user experience and how this impacts IT Operations..
- building effective relationships with project delivery stakeholders to identify the infrastructure operations deliverables required for successful implementation.
You’ll gain technical skills in IP-Based network switching systems, network design, information security, hybrid cloud computing and cyber security. You’ll learn about data communications and network security, developing a technology strategy and systems development.
You’ll work in our technology services team which is a large-scale and fast-paced environment where you’ll help to build a world-class performance-focused user experience control centre, and help to drive forward DWP’s digital transformation.
You’ll design, develop, code, test, correct and document simple programs and scripts, with the support of your team. We’ll also develop your understanding of user-centred design, user experience analysis and its principles.
You’ll be responsible for design, development and maintenance activities to ensure efficient delivery of data pipelines, supporting a wide variety of analytical and reporting use cases.
- apply data engineering principles and standards to ensure the delivery of high quality engineering pipelines
- work collaboratively to support the delivery of a vast range of services
- translate technical concepts into non-technical language for stakeholders
- work with various digital technologies and programming languages, including one of the following: SQL / Python / R / Java /Shell Scripting (BASH)
- implement test phases and standards associated to Performance Test, Accessibility Test, Security Test and Compatibility Test.